Sorrow has taken multiple appearances throughout the campaign as high-impact events have occurred. In Sorrow's original appearance, he wears a white cloak with an emerald crest pin. He wears a plague doctor's mask in order to hide his kenku features.
After Sorrow's death in the Xanathar's Lair, he used residue power from the Plane of Mirrors to alter his appearance. In his new form, Sorrow no longer wore the mask and had shorter, metallic silver plumage instead of the long, black kenku plumage.
After Sorrow invoked the 4th Clause of his contract with Asmodeus, his appearance changed once again. He gained devil's horns protruding from his forehead along with the symbol of Asmodeus on his forehead.
Sorrow is charismatic, but skittish. Before his death and resurrection, Sorrow preferred to blend in with his environment as much as he could. He generally stuck in the background or preferred to work by himself when possible. Since Sorrow is a kenku, he can not talk but instead relied on mimicking the voices of others to get his points across. Due to this, many of Sorrow's interactions appear gimmicky, but the kenku has learned to use the strange appearance to disarm opponents.
After Sorrow's death, he became much more confident. Where he used to only react to events happening to him, he now caused events for others to react to. He no longer tried to hide within the crowd, but instead desired to stand out. His charismatic nature didn't change very much, but it became more bold and confident.
Before the Campaign
Not much is known about Sorrow's life before the campaign. He was born in Waterdeep, but cast out as an urchin on the streets. Sorrow's lineage isn't discussed very often--but it is known that his parents have since died and passed on. Early on in his life, Sorrow came into contact with the blind seamstress Theresa and began living within her home; since she was unable to see his kenku appearance Sorrow felt comfortable with her. He often sends money from his adventures back to Theresa.
It is not known when Sorrow began adventuring, however he was a long-time regular of the Yawning Portal Inn and Tavern--where he befriended the business' barmaid Bonnie. Eventually, he would be called by Volothamp Geddarm to aid in finding his lost friend Floon Blagmaar.
Within the Lif of the Party, Sorrow tended to be a shot-caller and leader for the group in and outside of combat. While most of the party's decisions were made as a group, Sorrow often was the most vocal member and the party generally agreed with his tactics. However, Sorrow often would go on his own to deal with missions himself.
Joining the Emerald Enclave
While starting as a rogue, Sorrow had a great appreciation for beasts and nature. When the party inherited Trollskull Manor, Sorrow set up his room in the basement along with taking care of two badgers, Schroomer and Truffles. Eventually, Sorrow's appreciation for nature attracted the attention of the Emerald Enclave who then recruited him into their ranks. Sorrow went on several missions for the Enclave--some ending better than others--and eventually would make use of their accommodations to take care of animals he would buy and rescue.
Death in the Xanathar's Lair
While the Lif of the Party was making their way through the Xanathar's Lair, Sorrow found himself caught in a secret room with several buttons. Unaware of what the buttons would do, Sorrow began clicking them. While many effects happened, eventually one dropped rusted spikes from the ceiling which pierced Sorrow and made him contract Super Tetanus--taking his life. Sorrow spent an undetermined amount of time on the Astral Plane until Urreus invited him into his domain; the Plane of Mirrors. Here, the Phantom King gave Sorrow a new purpose in life to serve as Anne's protector and ward. Then, Sorrow found himself reborn.
Pact with Asmodeus
The Lif of the Party found themselves caught in the Xanathar's Lair, and as everything appeared to be going the worst way possible Sorrow reached out to whoever would listen to provide aid. Here, Asmodeus reached out to Sorrow and provided him a contract in exchange for his infernal aid. Sorrow signed the contract, and used its power to teleport the the party back to the surface.
Soon after, Sorrow would invoke the 4th clause of the contract to empower himself with a fraction of Asmodeus' power--turning him into a level 20 Warlock. He would use this power to defeat the rampaging Statues of Waterdeep.
After gaining his newfound powers, Sorrow would find himself wanting for a higher power or responsibility; and would say farewell to his friends in the Lif of the Party for now. He then left the party and their tavern behind for another day.
Skills and Abilities
Mimicry: Sorrow is able to perfectly replicate the noise of anything he hears.
Expert Forgery: Sorrow is adept at recreating duplicates or forgeries of products he has seen others perform.
- Disguise Kit Proficiency
- Thieves' Tools Proficiency
- Weaver's Tools Proficiency
- Wild Shape: Sorrow can magically assume the shape of a beast he has seen before. He can stay in that beast's shape for up to 1 hour.
- Popular Wild Shapes: Badger, Draft Horse, Giant Wolf Spider, Panther, Weasel
- Speech of the Woods: Beasts can understand Sorrow's speech, and he in turn can decipher their noises and motions.
- Spirit Totem: Sorrow can magically summon a spirit that creates an aura around him. The aura effect depends on the spirit summoned.
- Bear Spirit Aura: The bear spirit grants Sorrow and his allies its might and endurance.
- Hawk Spirit Aura: The hawk spirit is a consummate hunter, aiding you and your allies with its keen sight.
- Unicorn Spirit Aura: The unicorn spirit lends its protection to those nearby.
- Sneak Attack: When Sorrow attacks an enemy in an advantageous position, he is able to target their weak spots for additional damage.
- Cunning Action: Sorrow is especially quick in body and mind and is able to complete certain tasks faster than others.
- Skirmisher: Sorrow is hard to pin down, those who try to catch him may find him dashing out of their reach.
- Dark One's Blessing: When Sorrow defeats an enemy, he temporarily receives some of its vitality.
- Eldritch Invocations: Sorrow has learned fragments of forbidden knowledge that imbue him with abiding magical abilities.
- Ascendant Step: Sorrow is able to levitate at will.
- Devil's Sight: Sorrow can see as normal in darkness, both magical and nonmagical.
- Repelling Blast: Sorrow's eldritch blast hits with extra force and can even push enemies.
- Otherworldly Leap: Sorrow has the capability to jump up to three times higher or further than the normal kenku.
- Agonizing Blast: Sorrow's eldritch blast hits with extra power, dealing more damage than normal to enemies who are hit with it.
- Eldritch Spear: Sorrow's eldritch blast is able to travel further than normal, stretching up to twice the normal distance.
- Pact of the Blade: Sorrow has a special arsenal of weapons enhanced by Asmodeus, and is able to summon these weapons to him when needed.
- Dark One's Own Luck: Sorrow can borrow the abilities of Asmodeus to increase his luck and fortune when needed.
- Fiendish Resilience: Sorrow has the ability to make himself resistant to elements of his choice.
- Hurl Through Hell: When Sorrow hits a creature, he can send them on a trip through the nine layers of hell.
|Eldritch Blast||Cantrip||Evocation||A beam of crackling energy streaks toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 force damage.|
|Guidance||Cantrip||Divination||You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.|
|Thorn Whip||Cantrip||Transmuation||You create a long, vine-like whip covered in thorns that lashes out at your command toward a creature in range. Make a melee spell attack against the target. If the attack hits, the creature takes 1d6 piercing damage, and if the creature is Large or smaller, you pull the creature up to 10 feet closer to you.|
|Cure Wounds||1st||Evocation||A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.|
|Investiture of Stone||6th||Transmutation||Until the spell ends, bits of rock spread across your body, and you gain the following benefits:
|Etherealness||7th||Transmutation||You step into the border regions of the Ethereal Plane, in the area where it overlaps with your current plane. You remain in the Border Ethereal for the duration or until you use your action to dismiss the spell. During this time, you can move in any direction. If you move up or down, every foot of movement costs an extra foot. You can see and hear the plane you originated from, but everything there looks gray, and you can't see anything more than 60 feet away.|
Ring of Force Resistance
A sapphire ring taken from the corpse of the Xanathar, this item gives Sorrow resistance to force damage.
Eyes of Charming
Sorrow gained this item in the same place he lost his life. It seems to have the ability to see certain arcane runes along with the ability to make people like Sorrow more. With this item, he can cast the spell Charm Person.
Bag of Holding
|Cowboys & Corporations|
|Tides of Time Saga|